Loopy Ideas Forum Extraordinary / Unusual / Weird Ideas, Products & Inventions
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are no longer accepting new registrations due to a flood of spammers

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World's Fastest Couches  (Read 5637 times)

Jay Sadie

• Administrator
  • Owner/Founder
World's Fastest Couches
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »

[float=left][smg id=63 caption="Fastest Couch"][/float][float=right][smg id=64 caption="Couch Potato"][/float]At some point, someone apparently decided that they wanted to leave home without leaving the couch. The result was the first couch car, and since its inception dozens more have shown up, many of them street legal. These are seen at "Art Car" shows more often than on the street, but more exist than you'd think.

Run out of beer? Run out of pizza? Can't even be bothered to walk to the takeaway? No problem.

In fact, no need to get off this leopardskin sofa. You just drive it down to the shops. Indeed, its 87mph top speed has earned it a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the fastest piece of furniture on the planet.

But, odd though this sofa is, it is not unique. Its speed record is about be smashed by a precocious new arrival in the bizarre world of motorised upholstery. The same eccentric British inventor who holds the current record has just created a sofa monster. With light cream covers and deep cushions, this is the three-piece suite's answer to Concorde.

Its creator, Edward China, 35 - known as Edd - has a simple target. He plans to send a piece of furniture through the 100mph barrier for the first time. What?s more, anyone can apply to be the record-breaking driver. The seat is up for grabs in a charity auction.

Beneath the cream upholstery lurks a 220 horsepower Rover V8 engine, the same workhorse that drives a Range Rover. It sounds like an aeroplane.

At King Edward?s School in Witley, Surrey, Edward China spent much of his time in the technology department, where he built his own land yacht. Having studied engineering and product design at London?s South Bank University, where he lived in a converted double decker bus, he had landed a job with a motor racing team when he decided to build a motorised sofa for fun.

Using whatever parts he could find, it took him six weeks and £300 to construct a roadworthy, leopardskin sofa with a 1300cc Mini engine and some ingenious touches. "I didn?t want to build a car that looked like a sofa. I wanted to build a proper sofa that had an engine in it," he explains. "A sofa is all about being lazy, so it had to be very easy to drive."

It certainly is. Christened the Casual Lofa, it is an automatic with the brake controlled by an old beer can attached to the arm rest. Pull the can backwards and the sofa stops. The steering wheel is a real medium-crust pizza pan from the pizzeria where Edd used to work.

The accelerator is simply a knob jutting out at knee level. Squeeze the knob with your leg and you go faster. The front is protected by a coffee table which supports a fully-functional TV, two pot plants (which, fitted with lights, act as indicators) and an old clock housing the speedometer.

In the end, he decided to set up his own business, Cummfy Banana, and the barmy ideas kept on coming. He rents some of them out. His fourposter bed, The Street Sleeper, with an 1800cc VW engine, is very popular at weddings.

In 1998, during a demonstration at a motor racing circuit, Edd pushed the Casual Lofa to the limit and was officially clocked at 87mph. The time was authenticated by Guinness World Records and entered the record books for the world?s fastest furniture.

He has since acquired two further records. One for the world's fastest office (a 1400cc desk with four chairs, a computer and a watercooler which also reached 87 mph) and another for the world?s largest motorised shopping trolley (it's 12 feet tall).

Equally impressive is the fact that he has managed to steer his inventions past the joyless gaze of the health and safety brigade. They are all legal, insured and roadworthy.

"Sometimes the police are suspicious. I have been stopped 19 times in a week," he says. "When we drove the bed through France one summer, the police stopped us all the way. But all they wanted was a photo for their mates and then they sent us on our way."

He says the biggest danger is overtaking horses in the sofa. "Some of them freak out when they see the covering," he says. "I think they are genetically hardwired to be terrified of leopards."
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success." - Nikola Tesla

forJepthore

• Heaven is a place on earth...Here?
Re: World's Fastest Couches
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »

hello there, I have just signed up here on this forum, and this is my first post to say Hi, Hello and introduce myself, my name is Joćo Smith born and raised in Cambridge, graduated at 25 years old on Harvard on computer engenieering, and created my business called Poker General Comercial Solutions 5 months latter.
Poker For All Consultation a website dedicated to the research of brand new market niches to improve online maketing tools, and take the best out of it!
Poker For All Consultation gives job to 30 individuals in Manchester developing local economics.
Our objective is to give place to online poker by eleminating people prejudice about online gambling, if you want to get more information about it, you can find it on Free Poker...........
Our Goal is to improve online gaming by eleminating people prejudice about online gambling.
Besides the poker company, I also fish and also play cards, I have 2 kids, and have been married for  6 years, and very happy!:)
And that is all about me!!!!
*Link Removed*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright © 2010 2019, LoopyIdeas.com