Loopy Ideas Forum Extraordinary / Unusual / Weird Ideas, Products & Inventions
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

We are no longer accepting new registrations due to a flood of spammers

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed Golf  (Read 869 times)

Jay Sadie

• Administrator
  • Owner/Founder
Speed Golf
« on: May 05, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »

Many sports fans do not watch Golf for the very reason that it is an extremely slow game. It takes about 4 hours to complete 18 holes of Golf. Most people do not have the patience and appetite to watch a sport for many hours with very little action. The only time something seems to happen is when a player tees off, hits the ball out of a sand pit or trap, or putts the ball on the green.

I think this can all change by introducing a whole new spin on the game of Golf. I call it "Speed Golf". Imagine a game of Golf where the players wear running shoes, and have to be extremely fit to participate. This will make the players true athletes. Imagine combining Golf with Marathon running!

The purpose of Speed Golf is to complete the 18 holes as fast as possible, while still aiming to achieve the lowest score possible. If you complete the 18 holes in a very fast time, but you score 10 over Par you may not necessarily be the winner. Your opponent may finish with 5 above Par and 5 seconds slower than you across the 18 holes and still beat you quite substantially. The trick is to pace yourself while still trying to play accurately in order to get the lowest score.

The exact way to calculate the winner of the game is still up for grabs. It will require some creative thinking. One suggestion I have is to assign let's say 5 seconds to be equivalent to one stroke. So, if you finish 15 seconds slower than your opponent but you had 2 strokes less, you will be penalized by 3 strokes (15 divided by 5), thus making your opponent the winner by one stroke.

Another way is to make each stroke count as 10 seconds. So, for the average Championship course of Par 72, when you finish on Par it will add 720 seconds to the overall time to complete the course. The average distance of an 18 hole Golf course is around 5 miles. This means that if you finish the 18 holes (5 miles), in let's say 25 minutes (1,500 seconds), your total time will be 1,500 + 720 = 2,220 seconds. The player with the lowest number of seconds will be the winner.

Imagine a fast pacing game of Golf where there is never a dull moment. Players will be running as fast as possible and taking shots with blistering speed. No more walking around on the green studying the wind, angle of the slope, and so forth. Players have to make very quick decisions on how to play the ball. There is no time to waste.

In order for Speed Golf to flow smoothly players will tee off 30 seconds apart. Some rules will have to change, i.e. you continue playing, no matter what. You do not yield to another player. You take the shot whenever you want. This could mean that 2 players may be trying to get the ball in the hole at the same time! Just think how much fun and spectator excitement this may result in. You could bump your opponents ball out of the way!

Players may have to wear helmets and perhaps even extra padding under their shirts due to the fact that they may be hit by a golf ball while playing. There will be no shouting "fore" during the game. Due to the fast pace of the game there is no time to waste. If a player ends up in the path of a ball it is the player's responsibility to avoid it, or if necessary take the hit! It may even work in a player's favor to take the hit, and thereby deflecting the opponents ball into the bushes, where it may take some time for the opponent to locate the ball.

Speed Golf will be a very strategic game. As the game evolves there may be all sorts of ways players use to slow down their opponents, while giving themselves the edge. A player may however not hit another player's ball with their own club, or kick it with their shoes, or with their glove-covered hands.

With Speed Golf there will be no golf caddies. Each player has to carry their own clubs and equipment. This means that players would want to carry as few golf clubs as possible, in order to reduce weight. A whole new type of golf club may ultimately be invented to better suit Speed Golf.

I would love to watch an action packed game of Speed Golf. There will be plenty of excitement and nail-biting suspense. No more sleepy and slow motion moves with the occasional "oohs", "ahhs" and "awws" by an audience longing for some action.

For more of my own personal ideas please click here...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:08:21 PM by Jay Sadie »
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success." - Nikola Tesla
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2010 2019, LoopyIdeas.com