Loopy Ideas Forum Extraordinary / Unusual / Weird Ideas, Products & Inventions
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

More than 41,000 members, and growing...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Train - Global Transportation Concept  (Read 1881 times)

Jay Sadie

• Administrator
  • Owner/Founder
    • View Profile
Sea Train - Global Transportation Concept
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »

Oil spills cause havoc to our environment. There has to be a better way to transport oil across oceans, without the risk of spilling millions of gallons in the event of a disaster. Obviously, the best way to prevent oil spills is to rather use alternate energy sources. But, until the world changes from oil to something else we might as well think of a solution.

Something I’ve been thinking about is to use a different way to store and transport oil. Instead of using oil tankers, how about towing large flexible pipes filled with oil behind tug boats? This may seem like a strange thought at first, but give it some careful consideration. Trains on land have a large engine in front that tows railway cars behind it. In some cases these trains are many miles long, especially coal trains, and can have multiple engines, i.e. in front and in the rear of the long train.

The challenge with a Sea Train, towing large flexible pipes behind it, is that there are no tracks. However, when a tug boat is placed in front of these pipes they will automatically “trail” behind the boat as it moves through the water. It is only when the train stops that they may “drift” apart. This can be prevented by placing another tug boat at the tail end of the Sea Train.

It is also a possibility that multiple flexible pipes, separated by a few feet, may be towed side by side behind the tug boat, reducing the overall length of the train. Example: if a Sea Train with one long flexible pipe is one mile long it will reduce the overall length to a quarter mile by towing four parallel pipes behind it instead.

Bonus – Not only can the Sea Train transport oil, but any liquid, i.e. fresh water, milk, wine, liquid soap, olive oil, fruit juices, etc. Other materials that have a fluid-like behaviour can also be transported, e.g. grain, corn, sand, plastic beads, powder, etc.

Another benefit of the “flexible pipe containers” is that they can be quickly off-loaded in harbors, allowing the tug boat(s) to continue to the next delivery destination. At each destination empty pipes from previous drops can also be “hooked up” behind the tug boat to be returned to the point of origin, to be filled again.

This system will also allow for multiple products to be transported at the same time, i.e. different products in different pipes. Depending on the product the pipe’s compound/material may also vary.

These pipes are basically “containers”, except they are not square, as those found on container ships, and they are not stacked on the ships, but rather pulled behind them. The tug boats pulling them don’t have to be large, but must have a lot of muscle/horse power... like those found on normal tug boats in harbors.

Maybe we can call these containers Sea Sausages.  :D

For more of my own personal ideas please click here...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:09:26 AM by Jay Sadie »
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success." - Nikola Tesla
Pages: [1]   Go Up