Loopy Ideas Forum Extraordinary / Unusual / Weird Ideas, Products & Inventions
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

More than 41,000 members, and growing...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cosmism Art - A New Spin on Modern Art - Love it or hate it  (Read 6249 times)

monicasadie

• View Profile
Cosmism Art - A New Spin on Modern Art - Love it or hate it
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »

Bizarre and weird modern art is often at the root of heated discussion about the meaning of the piece of art and what the artist was thinking.  Many would agree that “shock factor” and hype sell art more often than quality or the meaning expressed in the piece.  As an artist, when people ask me , “What is this painting about?”, my response always brings glazed over eyes and confused looks.   So I guess my explanations qualify as loopy ideas.

My painting series is called “Cosmism” and it explores the nature of energy flow throughout the cosmos and its relationship to collective human thoughts and actions.  Sounds weird and wacky, but one must be at least a little “out there” to be the creative type, I think.  If you’ve ever watched “What the Bleep? Down the Rabbit Hole,” you’ll know what I’m talking about.  The layman’s view of “The Secret” is the simplified version.   In a nutshell, the thoughts and ideas that occupy our minds manifest  themselves into reality.  It’s like the old adage, “Anything is possible when you set your mind to it”.  When it’s said that way, it doesn’t sound so crazy.  But basically, our thoughts become energy which can never be destroyed and when we seriously focus either on the good or the bad…then what we focus on is what we get in return.   Religiously speaking, through the Bible, God tells us that we are made in his image which gives us the ability to create our surroundings.  The power of the mind is the tool and can be wielded for good or evil.  Proof of the “good” includes the benefits of meditation and prayer, and abilities of those who focus so strongly on what they want that they achieve it against all odds.  The proof of the “bad” lies in the negative thoughts which are also concentrated so strongly that they start manifesting themselves as a collective force (i.e. Nazism).  

Cosmism paintings give a visualization of what these energy flows could look like through color, texture, and movement.  Some have literary or historical derivations which I felt were compelling enough to offer a modern abstract version of explanation.  Please take a minute to read what a few of these paintings are about and  let me know your thoughts!

Current of Ascension
Current of Ascension
Current of Ascension

A study on the global aspect of the rise and fall of nations shown through the collective energy flow of the inhabitants.  Throughout history, great civilizations have risen and fallen usually due to the thoughts and values of the people who live there.  No one country ever remains on top forever which keeps the balance of power in check over time.  The rich terracotta and gold colors of the energy flow typify the organic nature of the people who are mentally guiding the direction of progression or regression, with an omnipresent rising sun behind this cyclic evolution.

Redemption
Redemption
Redemption

This painting is a personal reflection on how focusing on negative thoughts and feelings lead one into a murky darkness of directional flow.  It takes almost superhuman strength to break away from this toxic environment and channel one’s thoughts and attitude differently into a more positive light.  The dark, textural flow of energy symbolizes the negativity that is a sea of despair. The ethereal blues, violets and beiges that change course and gradually gain clarity represent the hope and redemption felt when one finds the strength to change their thoughts and attitude to a healthier and positive way of living life.

The Boleyn Effect
The Boleyn Effect
The Boleyn Effect

British history tells us of Henry VIII and one of his many wives, Anne Boleyn. Her manipulative relationship with the king changed the entire course of history for England from a Catholic to a Protestant nation. When the Pope refused to grant Henry VIII a divorce from his previous wife so that he could marry Anne, Anne Boleyn convinced him to denounce Catholicism and the Pope, making himself the head of the church of England. This painting depicts the sheer energy of manipulation and chaos created by Anne Boleyn once she set her mind to becoming Queen of England. The ripple effect of her destructive and conniving nature is shown through the royal blues and reds explosively creating a new reality for a country that she would eventually lose her head for in an effort to rule.

5 Elements of Chi
5 Elements of Chi
5 Elements of Chi

“Chi” is defined by the Chinese as “life force”. The 5 elements that make up this life force are fire, earth, metal, water, and wood. In this painting, these forces are portrayed in a cyclical balance of energy flow that revolve around the Chinese image of “chi” itself. These elements represent parts of our personality (fire=passion, earth=responsibility, metal=resourcefulness, water=fluidity of emotion, wood=strength & respect). When all of these elements are in alignment, then balance is achieved within one's chi.

Epiphany
Epiphany
Epiphany

The sudden rush of realization or ideas result in an epiphany. This experience is one of joy, enlightenment and euphoria. The painting portrays on a grand scale (4'x6') my interpretation of what that energy flow would look like through vivid jewel tones of magenta, violet, red, and green. This explosive event surrounded by the shimmering ash of spent creativity is a convincing caption of how we are made in God's image for the purpose of creation.

If your eyes have not glazed over yet please view more of my Cosmism series paintings at newbielink:http://www.monicasadie.com/gallery/index.php?cat=6 [nonactive].  I'd love to hear your interpretations of the rest of the paintings in the series!  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:03:36 PM by monicasadie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up